Call US 1300 656 236

all blog posts

Top 5 Cosmetic Surgery Procedures of 2014

The quest to be at one’s best never ends. Whether it is undergone to correct deformities, to address facial trauma, or simply to improve one’s overall appearance, cosmetic surgery has always been the go-to procedure for many.

The  figures are finally in as the American Society of Plastic Surgeons has released the 2014 Plastic Surgery Statistics Report. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons is the National Clearinghouse of Plastic Surgery Procedural Statistics and is recognized as a leading authority and information source on cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery.

For the 2014 figures, the responses to the annual questionnaire are extrapolated from more than 24,500 American Board of Medical Specialties-certified physicians. Aside from the final sample, the 2014 numbers are also combined with the first online national database for plastic surgery procedures Tracking Operations and Outcomes for Plastic Surgeons (TOPS).

The top 5 cosmetic surgical procedures in 2014 according to the report were breast augmentation, nose reshaping or rhinoplasty, liposuction, double eyelid surgery and facelift. Compared with the previous year, there is a 1% overall increase in the number of people who underwent cosmetic surgical procedures. However of the top 5 procedures, only liposuction experienced an increase, at 5%. Figures for the rest dipped.

Breast Augmentation

Of the 1.7 million people who had work done, most had breast augmentation. Since 2006, breast augmentation has always been the most common procedure undertaken, and the 2014 numbers only bolster this fact with roughly 286,000 procedures done. Silicone implants were placed in 77% of the procedures, with the other 23% being the saline variety.

Breast augmentation or mammoplasty increases the cup size by inserting silicone or saline implants into the breasts. These implants can restore lost breast volume or make the breast look bigger. The implants are inserted by making small incisions under the breast, thus there is minimal scarring.

Saline implants are generally less expensive than silicone ones. They are filled only after insertion so the incisions are smaller and leave smaller scars compared with the scars caused by silicone implants. The saline variety grants patients more volume choices and if they rapture, the salt water is simply absorbed by the body and the breast would reduce to pre-implant size.

Silicone breast implants, on the other hand, look and feel more natural when inserted over the muscle. They also ripple less since they are made of silicone, a jelly-like substance which mimics the consistency and density of the natural breast. Most clients prefer silicone breast implants not only because of the more natural look and feel but also because, being made of silicone, they are less likely to ripple and to rupture.

Rhinoplasty

Nose reshaping or rhinoplasty was listed as the second most popular cosmetic surgery procedure in 2014. However, from 221,000 in 2013 to 217,000 in 2014, figures for nose jobs dipped by 2%. Despite the reduction in clients, rhinoplasty retains its spot as the second most popular cosmetic surgery procedure in 2014.